Top 1WTC Security Officer Resigns
The Durst Organization is reportedly looking for a successor to replace a top security official who resigned following a series of incidents that exposed seemingly gaping holes in security at 1 World Trade Center.
The move follows recent news earlier this month that a 16-year-old boy from New Jersey was arrested after squeezing though a one-foot opening in a fence surrounding the building and ultimately making it all the way to the 104-story building’s spire.
Among other notable incidents, in September three jumpers, including an ironworker assigned to the site, parachuted from the 104th floor, turning themselves in to the police on Monday.
On Tuesday, two CNN producers were arrested and charged with trespassing after an attempt to break into the site in broad daylight as part of their reporting.
Mr. Velazquez is a Columbia University graduate who was hired in August 2013 and worked for the F.B.I. for 31 years.
Durst Organization spokesperson Jordan Barowitz said his firm took control of the building’s interior security in January.
“We ordered a top-to-bottom review of the security at the building, which is ongoing, [as] is the search for a replacement for Mr. Velazquez,” he said in an email.