The 11,302-square-foot home of the Tifereth Israel Town and Village Synagogue at 334 East 14th Street is on the market for conversion to residential or commercial use.
Massey Knakal is exclusively marketing the $13.95 million property, which was built in 1866 as the First German Baptist Church. The listing notes 24,780 square feet of buildable space.
The distinctive, onion-domed building just west of First Avenue would certainly make for a splashy new residential or commercial development. It would also almost surely upset East Village preservationists still smarting over the recent demolition of the Mary Help of Christians Church, which is slated to make way for 11,356 square feet of retail space.
Massey Knakal released a statement today explaining T&V’s desire to partner with a developer and “redevelop their current space or to relocate to a larger space within the neighborhood to a space with a 10,000 square foot floor plate or larger, with a ground floor presence.”
The statement went on to say that “while the building has grown in value over the years, the current layout, while offering many opportunities for a potential buyer, is no longer ideal for the synagogue.”
Representatives from Massey Knakal could not immediately be reached for further comment.